Welcome to my site.  I hope you enjoy my blogs and your welcome to leave comments.  I would love to hear what you think about them, whether you agree or not.  I would love to hear you opinion and maybe we can talk about them. 
Thanks for reading
-Zac

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Follower of Christ

Yesterday I went and talked to one of my professors after class and we were just casually talking about a book that I had mentioned and he asked me a question that really made me think. He knew that I wasn’t Catholic and that I was a theology major and he asked me if it bothered me studying theology at a Catholic college. I said, no I haven’t really come across any problems yet. He said well I was just wondering because I have been teaching Catholic Theology in this class. (The class is theology of christian marriage.) That took me off guard, I said, “Really?...oh.” I guess it hit me right then and there that I didn’t really know what the difference was. I mean we believe in the same God and yet there are all these differences between our “religions.” I was raised as christian reformed and thats what I had always identified myself as. Whenever some asked me if I was religious I would say yeah, Im christian. Then they would say back, ok what kind? People would usually say some variation of that and so then I would say, “Im christian reformed.” That always struck me as weird that people needed to ask that second question and that moment with my professor put it into perspective for me. Why is there this separation within the church? The more I thought about it I realized that I don’t really identify myself as christian reformed either. I’m simply a christian, a follower of the one true God and of Jesus Christ. I mean we all have the same Bible yet why are we so different? Jesus didn’t come to start a new religion or separate us, he came to unify us in God. I don’t necessarily identify myself as a christian in the traditional sense. I AM a follower of Jesus Christ. I follow the Bible and try to live my life the way Jesus showed us and try to live it in a way that honors God. I just don’t know if I like the thoughts and stereotypes that the term “christian” provokes. When people hear that term they think judgmental, hypocritical, condemnation and so on. I don’t like that, thats not what Jesus intended, yet people act this way and don’t truly live the way Jesus shows us. People say all the time how christians are hypocritical. And yeah, thats true. Everyone is hypocritical in their own right. Everyone is hypocritical because we are all flawed, we all have sin in us. The realization of this allows us to live our lives in the best way that we can in regards to what Jesus taught. The whole time knowing that we will make mistakes, we will seem hypocritical at times but thats just because of sin. If we really make an effort to live like Christ we will, we WILL to best that is possible for us, despite sin. That is why Jesus died on the cross for us, to forgive us of our sins, even when we are hypocritical. So I don’t know if I am a “christian” in the way that people always think of it. Instead of saying I am a christian I say that I am a follower of Jesus Christ. That takes away all of the different denominations within the church and gets to the root of what its really all about.
In the book of Matthew Jesus says, “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only few find it.” (Matthew 7:13-14) We as “christians” get so caught up in the traditions of the church and we sometimes miss the bigger picture. We even forget or maybe we never even knew where these traditions originated. We need to stop getting so caught up in these traditions and so caught up in the differences between church denominations and just follow Christ. Sometimes people say they are believers and they participate in all of the traditions of their particular church denomination but they are not truly christians. They don’t know what it means to be that. They are just going through the motions and not living the way that Jesus taught. They are still going down the broad road instead of getting to the root and meaning of their beliefs and taking the exit onto the narrow road. This is why so few people find it. They are distracted by all the traditions, glamour and even flaws of the “christian church.” Now don’t get me wrong I am not saying that we need to get rid of these traditions or anything, I am just saying that as followers of Christ we need to redefine what it truly means to be a christian. We need to get to the root of the religion and live it how it was meant to be. Jesus did not intend for us to be like this, separated from other believers by petty differences but for us to come together and follow him. Now I don’t really know what all the different denominations believe, or what the differences are, and I don’t care. Because I am simply a follower of Jesus Christ.

20 comments:

  1. Live like Jesus: Love God, Love People, right? It's that simple.
    totally agree Zack!
    Love the blog - have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this blog really gets me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fail to see what you say about "doing church." Here you simply call people out who you think aren't living the way they should be living. If it was more of an exhortation than a calling out of people who

    "are still going down the broad road instead of getting to the root and meaning of their beliefs and taking the exit onto the narrow road"

    it might come across a tad bit less preachy. Also here you are assuming that you have found the "exit onto the narrow road" which sounds arrogant and presumptuous.

    The church is the community of believers and I don't see where you address living in community with other believers, you simply say we need to redefine what following Christ looks like. It seems like a mis-titling if anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not specifically calling anyone out. I am just saying that we need to just really try to live our lives the way that Jesus taught. Love God, Love People. I am not saying that I "found" the exit to the narrow road, I am however saying Jesus tries to show us it and we often over look it. And yes their are people who are still going down the broad road and thats just because they get caught up in the world, as I do sometimes but I recognize that. Sin is what causes that. A lot of people go to church every sunday but outside of that hour once a week they don't strive to live their lives as Christ showed us. Although they go to church they are not living as the church. Yeah the church was originally God's people, set apart. But sadly the church has just become a place that we go instead of how we live our lives. The church is a community of believers like you said but why are there so many different communities? We all have the same God.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We still are God's people, we are called to be set apart, holy, as 1 Peter 2:9 says. It seems like you are attempting to address two issues here, 2 issues that need more attention than part of a single blog post, and that is 1) unity within the body of believers and 2) the effects of our broken nature which cause us to stray away from God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the meaning of this post was that you questioned why there are so many different 'communities' of believers - when we do serve the same God. Why do many think that their 'community' is the ONLY way. I have wondered the same thing many times.
    I also agree with you that there are MANY people who think that going to church one hour is enough to get to Heaven - sadly they will be mistaken when they stand before God our Father. Being a Christian means more than one hour a week. So in that sence I do agree that many people need to redefine what being a Christian is - its not just about what you do in your church - or how great your church is - its about living everyday - everyday for God the best you can. You are not criticizing the church.
    We live in a sinful world - it is a struggle - we are all sinners. I think many people forget God gave us the Bible to guide us - everyday - not just on Sunday!

    I dont see you as being arrogant and presumptious - I see you as being excited about God - excited about sharing what you are learning and feeling about God. This world needs more people like you - who are willing to be vulnerable for him. By the way - what brought you to this place in your life?

    I agree with gittyup - love God - love people

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah i agree they do need more attention than part of a single blog post...but i'm just putting some thoughts out there, i am not gonna type 5 pages about that or any subject on here...

    ReplyDelete
  8. i agree with you zac......way to go! keep shaing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is to anonymous at 7:21 am.....
    thanks, yeah it's just about why there are many branches of the same faith with the same God. Imagine how strong the church could be if we all stood together, together as followers of Christ. All of us trying to live our lives like he taught. It would be a powerful thing. And when i say the church i mean all of us believers. We are the church. Not a building, not something we go to once a week. We need to try and show people what it really means to be a christian, we need to get the stereotypes out of there heads and just love God and love people.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also agree with the point you were trying to make - maybe you didn't clarify it enough - maybe not in a way that people want - but I still understand.

    ReplyDelete
  12. zac.......didn't you create this blog to share random thoughts that you were thinking or random thoughts that you were learning about God?....maybe in this post there are some 'random' thoughts..but it should create discussions not criticisms. i understood the main point of this post right away....even still...it did create discussions....and gave something to think about.

    and something else....did you ask your professor what makes catholic theology of christian marriage any different?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thats why they are called 'random' thoughts - they come out of no where and get us thinking. Just get us thinking. I also understand what you are trying to say. Keep up the good work! I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maybe you should find out what the differences are in the denominations. That might open your eyes a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. you know im starting to learn...but it really doesn't matter when we just follow Jesus. It takes away the differences of denominations and all of the problems past and present of the "church" when we simply live our lives for Christ. Its just kind of simpler i guess. It doesnt need to be so complicated. Obviously u feel strongly about the differences in denominations...care to share anymore on that?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sweet Zac. Fun that you have a blog now. Keep up the good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i heard something this morning that struck me.....being a Christian is not a religion....it is having a relationship with Jesus Christ. i am a Christian - love God love people!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Zac dude this is fricken sweet stuff you got going on man. You one good kid keep up the work. You know you must have a strong faith in Christ. You are making me think more and more about this stuff. You got great points. ATTA BOY.
    Jonny G

    ReplyDelete


Some Favorite Quotes...
"If you study science deep enough and long enough it will force you to believe in God."
-unkown
"God has spoken, and everything else is commentary."
-Rob Bell
"Black holes are where God divided by zero."
-Albert Einstein
"I am not sure exactly what heaven will be like, but I know that when we die and it comes time for God to judge us, he will not ask, 'How many good things have you done in your life?' rather he will ask, 'How much love did you put into what you did?'"
-Mother Teresa
"The moment God is figured out with nice neat lines and definitions, we are no longer dealing with God."
-Rob Bell
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
-John Lennon
"For even if the whole world believed in resurrection, little would change until we began to practice it. We can believe in CPR, but people will remain dead until someone breathes new life into them. And we can tell the world that there is life after death, but the world really seems to be wondering if there is life before death."
-Shane Claiborne